– BY MICHAEL KNIGHT
It’s August and it’s time for football season! Over the next three weeks, we’ll have daily content on OKPreps previewing the 2018 football season. We kick things off with the OKPreps Preseason Rankings. Check out who’s #1 and the top ten in each class.
CLASS 6A-D1 RANKINGS
– The defending champs have some holes to fill but plenty of talent to make another title run.
– Union is ready to erase some of the mental mistakes that cost them last year’s gold ball.
3) BROKEN ARROW
– The Tigers have, perhaps, their most talented team ever. Now it’s time to prove it on the field.
– The Keith Riggs era begins at Jenks but the Trojans are still one of the best teams in the state.
5) EDMOND SANTA FE
– With many talented players returning, the Wolves look to be the top dog on the westside.
– With graduation hitting the offense hard, Mustang will rely on a stacked defense to lead them.
7) NORMAN NORTH
– A new coach and new faces headline Norman North but the T’Wolves are still dangerous.
– The Lions ended a lengthy playoff drought last year and look to take the next step this season.
– The Jaguars lost a lot of production from last year’s team but have proven they can reload.
10) PUTNAM CITY NORTH
– The Panthers round out the top ten and could improve if their play matches their potential.
CLASS 6A-D2 RANKINGS
1) BOOKER T WASHINGTON
– The Hornets rolled to a state title last year and expect to repeat led by future D1 stars.
– A very young and talented team, get ready to see Stillwater as an elite team for a while.
3) MIDWEST CITY
– The Bombers have always relied on their defense but the offense will provide headlines.
– A new coach takes over but RB Miles Davis returns after his breakout season in 2017.
– The Spartans find themselves in unfamiliar territory but don’t expect them to drop off.
6) DEL CITY
– Del City moves up from 5A and immediately becomes a team that will challenge in 6A-D2.
– Choctaw has been building up to a possible run in 2018, but they sit in a loaded district.
– The Roughers have some holes to fill but they could end up being a surprise team in 2018.
– Another team making the move up from 5A, Shawnee has the talent to compete in 6A-D2.
10) PUTNAM CITY WEST
– Putnam City West has the talent to make a playoff run but they’ll have to avoid let downs.
CLASS 5A RANKINGS
1) CARL ALBERT
– Back to back championships and the expectations for a three-peat are very high for the Titans.
2) BISHOP McGUINNESS
– The Irish have a new head coach but RB Dominic Richardson returns for redemption this fall.
– If the Cardinals remain healthy, they will be one of the most talented teams in 5A football.
– Ardmore has speed coming back and that’s a dangerous thought for the Tigers’ opponents.
– With plenty of talented players returning, the Tigers could be a breakout team this season.
– Skiatook has established themselves as a consistent playoff team and that won’t change.
7) BISHOP KELLEY
– The Comets have some holes to fill but Bishop Kelley, under J.J. Tappana is always a threat.
– The Bulldogs have a new head coach but they will continue to be a difficult team to put down.
– With so many returning starters, the Eagles feel like they could truly contend in 5A football.
– It’s been a few years since the Blue Jays were a true contender, they look to change that.
CLASS 4A RANKINGS
– In an absolutely wide open 4A, Poteau returns enough to get the nod as the top team in 4A.
– The Eagles have been a consistent playoff team but this year, they could be a title team.
– With plenty of players returning, Catoosa could end up being a true contender this season.
4) BROKEN BOW
– The Savages returned to prominence last year and look to build on that with a deeper run.
– The Lions ended Wagoner’s winning streak but they’re hungry for much more this season.
– The winning streak and Nikia Jones are gone, now the Bulldogs look to start a new chapter.
– Tuttle returns QB Carson Berryhill and the Tigers could end up going on a deep playoff run.
– Bethany might have been a surprise team in 2017 but they won’t surprise anybody this year.
– Greg Werner returns to Oklahoma to take over at Hilldale, the Hornets will sting many teams.
– Another perennial playoff team with a new head coach, the Mustangs won’t go anywhere.
CLASS 3A RANKINGS
1) HERITAGE HALL
– The defending 4A champs drop down to 3A and immediately become the heavy favorite.
– Kingfisher has plenty coming back and all eyes will be on a district clash with Heritage Hall.
3) LINCOLN CHRISTIAN
– Lincoln Christian will have one of the top offenses in the state and will be a contender.
– Seminole returns so many key pieces that it’s hard to imagine they won’t be a threat this fall.
5) JOHN MARSHALL
– The defending champs have to reload but a brutal district slate could cause more problems.
– The Chiefs were hit hard by graduation to key players but Berryhill will simply reload.
– Plainview is one of those teams you have to pencil into the top ten and this year is no different.
8) CASCIA HALL
– Cascia Hall drops back down to 3A football where they will be a force to be reckoned with.
– Led by dynamic RB Trey Kiser, Sulphur will be a tough team to slow down this season.
10) MOUNT SAINT MARY
– Mount Saint Mary could end up being a dark horse this year as one of the better teams.
CLASS 2A RANKINGS
– The Falcons have plenty of talent back to go after another title and to make state history.
– Vian is loaded with returning playmakers and some key transfers coming into the program.
– Adair’s offense will be one of the best in Oklahoma, making them a legitimate threat in 2A.
– Beggs drops down after making it to the 3A title game and have plenty of guys back to win.
– Alva made a surprise run in the playoffs last year and return enough to potentially go further.
– Jones loses a lot after graduation and transfers but it’s hard to think they won’t still contend.
– Similar to several other teams on this ranking, Hennessey is a must-watch team every year.
– The Pirates drop down from 3A and are stacked with pieces to make a deep playoff push.
9) HOLLAND HALL
– Holland Hall dealt with heartbreak to end their 2017 season, they’re back for a redemption run.
– Despite a new coach taking over, the Wolves are always one of the top 2A programs.
CLASS A RANKINGS
– We could see Crescent QB Hunter Bowers repeat the performance by Afton QB Wil Amos.
– Hooker returns just about everyone and they’re hungry after making a surprise run last year.
– Cashion will always be a contender in Class A as they always have a top passing attack.
– Wynnewood similar to Cashion as you always tend to pencil them in as one of the best teams.
– Mangum has been right on the edge of truly breaking out and 2018 could finally be their year.
6) REJOICE CHRISTIAN
– The road is somewhat clearer for Rejoice Christian to truly contend for a state championship.
– Brandon Tyler has completely turned around this Gore program and they now look to contend.
– With so many returning playmakers, it’s hard to imagine Apache not being successful this year.
– With the return of RB Jacob Bruce, Hulbert has to be considered a serious threat in Class A.
– A drop down from 2A to A will help Commerce become a true team to watch this season.
CLASS B RANKINGS
– After adding another gold ball to the trophy case, it’s hard not to give Shattuck the nod.
– Led by star Carson Thompson and a wealth of talent returning, Canadian looks strong.
– Perennial power Laverne will have new faces but at this point, you expect them to reload.
– Depew brings back plenty of firepower on offense and should have a high-scoring attack.
5) REGENT PREP
– Regent Prep returns receiver Jack Wright, who’s put up monster numbers the last two years.
– Prue had one of the top offenses in the state last year and could end up being a contender.
– Davenport will attempt to not only make it back to the semifinals but go a step further.
– Alex has the talent to contend and they’ll get their chance to prove it with a tough schedule.
– Dewar is always a team that you have to look at when it comes to the truly elite 8-man teams.
– Turpin is hungry to take the next step in 2018 led by a powerhouse rushing attack.
CLASS C RANKINGS
– Tipton is building a dynasty right now as they head into this season looking for a three-peat.
2) POND CREEK-HUNTER
– Every year, you can go ahead and pencil in Pond Creek-Hunter as one of the top teams.
– Coyle will have experience on their side in 2018, making them a team to watch out for.
– Timberlake wants to not only make it back to the semifinals but take that next step in 2018.
– Tyrone made it to the semifinals but fell short of the title game, they want more this fall.
– After a winless 2016, Medford made it to the 2017 playoffs and bring back majority of starters.
– Expectations remain the same for Bluejacket as they want to contend for a state title.
– Paoli will rely on a strong running game and an even tougher defense to set them apart.
– After dropping down to Class C, the Foxes should return to contender-status in 2018.
– The Trojans have been a program on the rise and this may be the year they break through.
Today: Preseason Rankings
August 3rd: Preseason All State Team
August 4th: Class 6A-D1 Preview
August 5th: Class 6A D1 Preview Podcast
August 6th: Class 6A D2 Preview
August 7th: Class 6A-D2 Preview Podcast
August 8th: Class 5A Preview
August 9th: Class 5A Preview Podcast
August 10th: Class 4A Preview
August 11th: Class 4A Preview Podcast
August 12th: Class 3A Preview
August 13th: Class 3A Preview Podcast
August 14th: Class 2A Preview
August 15th: Class 2A Preview Podcast
August 16th: Class A Preview
August 17th: Class A Preview Podcast
August 18th: 8-Man Preview
August 19th: Top Out Of State Games